What are Semantic Gradients
- Semantic gradients are a sequential array of words organized according to a meaningful set of criteria.
Why do we use this strategy?
- To help broaden the understanding of related words.
- Help distinguish between shades of meaning.
- Enhance vocabulary that can help in comprehension and writing.
How to use semantic gradients?
- Select a pair of polar opposite words.
- Generate at least four or five words for each of the opposite words.
- Arrange the words in a way that makes a bridge from one opposite word to the other. This can be done vertically on a ladder or horizontal on a line.
- You can discuss your rationale for placing certain words in certain locations and the subtle differences among the words.
Ms. Gumbs English Language OCS 2019-2020